Cathleen Bell Bremmer
Katy Bremmer practices in the areas of equal employment opportunity law, labor litigation and general litigation. Her practice in the labor law area has included: representation of clients in equal employment lawsuits filed in federal and state court; representation of management in union matters, including collective bargaining; and the representation of employers in proceedings before federal and state equal employment opportunity agencies.
Ms. Bremmer has extensive experience with federal and state employment laws and regulations, including the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, Title VII, ERISA and COBRA. She has also been involved in state court employment contract and whistleblower matters and Section 1983 civil rights litigation. Ms. Bremmer is Board Certified in Labor and Employment Law by The Florida Bar.
- Handles all facets of employer defense of individual and class action EEO litigation in federal and state court, including claims of race, sex, pregnancy, age, national origin and disability discrimination, the investigation and defense of sexual harassment claims, as well as the defense of unlawful retaliation claims based on the filing of an equal employment complaint.
- Represents employers, health and disability plans and fiduciaries in benefits litigation under ERISA.
- Represents employers in proceedings before federal, state and local equal employment opportunity agencies.
- Represents employers sued over employment contracts and whistleblower matters, as well as Section 1983 civil rights litigation
- Generally advises clients on discharge decisions and other employment actions, and provides advice on employment policies and procedures.
- Involved as well in complex commercial litigation and class actions, both in state and federal court.
- “PEDS’s, IM’s and Twitters, Oh My... Legal Issues Involving the Use of Personal Electronic Devices and Social Media in the Workplace,” Emerging Legal Issues For Employment Lawyers and Corporate Counsel seminar, Tampa, FL (March 22, 2011)
- “Attorney-Client Issues for In-House Counsel: Special Issues in the Employment Law Context,” Tampa, FL (October 13, 2010)
- “ESI Discovery Update: State and Federal Law Trends,” Continuing Legal Education (CLE) program, Chicago, IL (August 24, 2010)
- “ESI Discovery Update: State and Federal Law Trends,” Continuing Legal Education (CLE) program, Dallas, TX (March 23, 2010)
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Board Certified by The Florida Bar as a specialist in Labor and Employment Law
- Selected for inclusion in Florida Trend magazine's Florida Legal Elite issue (Labor & Employment) (2005)
- Selected for inclusion in Florida Super Lawyers (2010-2013)
- The Florida Bar
Labor and Employment Law Section
- American Bar Association
Labor and Employment Section
Employee Benefits Committee of that Section
Section of Litigation
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
Co-Chair, Labor and Employment Section
- University of West Florida Alumni Association
- Federal Bar Association