Carlton Fields Jorden Burt has defended class actions for more than 30 years and understands the unique challenges they present due to their different rules, enhanced scope, and higher stakes. We defend every facet of class action proceedings, including class certification, motions to dismiss, summary judgment, standing issues, unfair trade practice act issues, trials, opt-out and objector issues, jurisdiction, settlement administration, and all facets of parallel administrative proceedings, related criminal proceedings, and derivative actions.
Our experience defending complex litigation in state and federal courts, and matters consolidated by the judicial panel on multidistrict litigation, covers substantive areas including antitrust, construction, consumer fraud, employment, insurance, products liability, real estate, securities, tax, telecommunications, and toxic tort actions.
- Represented title insurance underwriters, achieving multiple dismissals of putative class actions and denials of class certification in multi-state and statewide class actions across the country
- Represented two national automobile insurance companies in separate class actions in which plaintiffs purport to represent classes of MRI providers alleging that insurance companies failed to make proper payment for the provision of MRI services; settled cases on terms favorable to our clients
- Represented multiple national homebuilders in several class actions, including home construction defect cases and a case alleging that condominium hotel unit purchases are investment contracts and must be registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission
- Obtained dismissal for national health insurance company of RICO multidistrict litigation class action brought on behalf of effectively all physicians in the United States against all Blue Cross Blue Shield licensees
- Defeated class certification in several product defect cases, including one against a manufacturer of allegedly defective periodontal implants, and another against a manufacturer of an allegedly defective airplane engine