Data Privacy and Cybersecurity
- Represents a red light camera vendor in a series of class actions pending in Florida federal court challenging the validity of traffic ticket violations based on a theory of improper delegation of police power.
- Represents a Tampa, Florida hospital in a data breach privacy class action filed by a former patient who alleges that the hospital was negligent, violated the Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act, and received an unjust enrichment when a rogue employee improperly accessed the personal health information of patients at the hospital. See John Doe v. Florida Health Science Center, Inc., 14-CA-012657 (Fla. Cir. Ct. Complaint filed Dec. 29. 2014).
- Represented a retail catalog sale company in a data privacy breach class action filed in 2012 in the Southern District of Florida in which the plaintiff alleged that the defendant failed to safeguard the personal identifying information of employees of one of its clients against improper computer “hacking” by a rogue employee and brought claims under the Federal Stored Communications Act, Florida Deceptive Trade Practices Act and the tort of invasion of privacy. See Burrows v. Purchasing Power, LLC, 2012 WL 9391827 (S.D. Fla. 2012) (order on motion to dismiss); 2013 WL 1067232 (S.D. Fla. 2013) (final judgment approving settlement).
Class Action Litigation:
- Represented largest automobile insurance carrier in Florida in defeating class certification in multiple putative class action lawsuits filed by medical providers. All Family Clinic of Daytona Beach v. State Farm Mut. Auto. Auto. Co., --- F.R.D. --- 2012 WL 759487 (S.D. Fla. 2012) Read PDF; DWFII Corporation, d/b/a Falls Chiropractic Health Center v. State Farm Mut. Auto. Ins. Co, --- F.R.D. ----, 2010 WL 5094242 (S.D. Fla. 2010). aff'd, 2012 WL 1002234 (11th Cir. 2012) Read PDF; Coastal Neurology Inc. v. State Farm Mut. Auto. Ins. Co., 271 F.R.D. 538 (S.D. Fla. 2010), aff'd, 458 Fed. Appx. 793 (11th Cir. 2012). Read PDF.
- Represented large timeshare company in putative class action removed to federal court under the Class Action Fairness Act of 2005; defeated remand to state court and obtained dismissal of FDUTPA and related claims. Perret v. Wyndham Vacation Resorts, Inc., ---- F.Supp.2d ----, 2012 WL 3758036 (S.D. Fla. Aug. 28, 2012) (order granting motion to dismiss and closing case) Read PDF; Perret v. Wyndham Vacation Resorts, Inc., et al., ---- F. Supp. 2d ----, No. 11–CV–61904, 2012 WL 718794 (S.D. Fla. Mar. 5, 2012) Read PDF; Perret v. Wyndham Vacation Resorts, Inc., et al., ---- F. Supp. 2d ----, No. 11–CV–61904, 2012 WL 592171 (S.D. Fla. Feb. 22, 2012) Read PDF.
- Represented retail supermarket chain in consumer class action removed to federal court under the Class Action Fairness Act of 2005 and defeated remand to state court. Heretick v. Publix Super Markets, Inc., ---- F. Supp. 2d ----, No. 8:11–cv–2438–T–23TBM, 2012 WL 251977 (M.D. Fla. Jan. 26, 2012). Read PDF.
- Represented one of the nation's largest court reporting services in defense of a FDUTPA consumer class action. In re Motions to Certify Classes Against Court Reporting Firms for Charges Relating to Word Indices, 715 F. Supp. 2d 1265 (S.D. Fla. 2010), aff'd 439 Fed.Appx. 849 (11th Cir.(Fla.) Aug 31, 2011).
- Represented an automobile financing company in defense of a FDUTPA consumer class action. Baldwin, Christine F v. Miami Automotive Retail Inc., Case Number (LOCAL): 2006-19334-CA-01 Filing Date: 09/22/2006 Case Number (STATE): 13-2006-CA-019334-0000-01.
- Represented a major automobile manufacturer in defense of a series of national and state product liability class actions involving the manufacturer’s F-250 and F-350 trucks. Brisson v. Ford Motor Co., 602 F. Supp. 2d 1227 (M.D. Fla. 2009), aff’d in part, rev’d in part, 2009 WL 3326264 (11th Cir. 2009); Lewis v. Ford Motor Co., 263 F.R.D. 252 (W.D. Pa. 2009).
- Represented the largest automobile insurance carrier in Florida in defense of various class action lawsuits filed by providers of MRI services. Altamonte Springs Imaging, L.C. v. State Farm Mut. Auto. Ins. Co., 12 So. 3d 850 (Fla. 3d DCA 2009); Coastal Neurology, Inc. v. State Farm Mutual Auto. Ins. Co., 271 F.R.D. 538 (S.D. Fla. 2010); MRI Associates of St. Pete, Inc. v. State Farm Mutual Auto. Ins. Co., 2010 WL 5184064 (M.D. Fla.); DWFII v. State Farm Mutual Auto. Ins. Co., 271 F.R.D. 676 (S.D. Fla. 2010).
- Represented a title insurer in defense of a series of class actions alleging overcharge of premiums on policies issued to mortgage lenders. Hoving v. Lawyer’s Title Ins. Co., 256 F.R.D. 555 (E.D. Mich. 2009).
- Represented manufacturer of dental implants in defense of product liability class action alleging that the implants were defective. Cohen v. Implant Innovations, Inc., 259 F.R.D. 617, 2008 WL 3927223 (S.D. Fla. 2008).
- Represented timeshare company in defense of class action by timeshare purchasers. Grimes v. Fairfield Resorts, Inc., 2007 WL 245128 (11th Cir. 2007).
- Represented an airplane engine manufacturer in defense of a product liability class action alleging the engine was defective. Montgomery v. New Piper Aircraft, Inc., 209 F.R.D. 221 (S.D. Fla. 2002).
- Represented a major automobile insurance carrier in class action filed by agents alleging breach of contract. Jim Moore Ins. Agency, Inc. v. State Farm Mut. Auto. Ins. Co., 2003 WL 22097937 (S.D. Fla. 2003), aff’d, 147 Fed. Appx. 841 (11th Cir. 2005).
- Represented a major Florida homebuilder in defense of class action and separate class arbitration, both alleging home construction defects. Bouchard v. The Ryland Group, Inc., 2007 WL 2460386 (Fla. Cir. Ct. (Orange County) 2007); Addleman v. The Ryland Group, Inc., No. 11 181 01524 05 (AAA arbitration)
- Represented chemical company in defense of former employees’ medical monitoring class action alleging exposure to toxic chemicals. Hoyte v. Stauffer Chemical Co., 2002 WL 31892830 (Florida Cir. Ct. (Pinellas County), Nov. 6, 2002).
- Represented manufacturer of schizophrenia drug in multi-district product liability litigation alleging the drug was defective. In re Seroquel Products Liability Litig., 598 F. Supp. 2d 1271 (M.D. Fla. Feb. 6, 2009); 2009 WL 618240 (M.D. Fla. March 12, 2009).
- Represented homebuilders in defense of multi-district product liability class actions alleging drywall installed in homes was defective. In re Chinese-Manufactured Drywall Products Liability Litig., 626 F. Supp. 2d 1346 (J.P.M.L. June 15, 2009).
- Represented Colombian company alleging a per se unlawful market allocation against its collaboration partner. Procaps S.A. v. Patheon Inc., 2013 WL 673730 (S.D. Fla. February 25, 2013).
- Represented major automobile insurer in nationwide antitrust class action alleging conspiracy to limit coverage for auto repairs. Gilchrist v. State Farm Mut. Auto Ins. Co., 390 F.3d 1327 (11th Cir. 2004).
- Represented national horse show association in standard setting monopolization and conspiracy action. JES Properties, Inc. v. USA Equestrian, Inc., 253 F. Supp. 2d 1273, (M.D. Fla. 2003).
- Represented seller of ultra-high speed printers in antitrust class action alleging violations of state antitrust and FDUTPA laws. Oce Printing Systems USA, Inc. v. Mailers Data Services, Inc., 760 So. 2d 1037 (Fla. 2d DCA 2000).
- Represented manufacturer of thermal fax paper in defense of antitrust price fixing conspiracy class action. Excu-Tech Business Systems, Inc. v. Appleton Papers, Inc., 743 So. 2d 19, (Fla. 4th DCA 1999).
- Represented agricultural chemical company in defense of vertical price fixing class action. In Re Agricultural Chemicals Antitrust Litigation, 1995-2 Trade Cases (CCH) 71, 197 (N.D. Fla. 1995).