Michael P. Donaldson
Mike Donaldson's practice is concentrated in the areas of administrative, land use and environmental law with a particular focus in assisting or representing: developers of affordable housing seeking to obtain available funding from Florida Housing Finance Corporation, including LIHTC, SAIL, and MMRB funding as well as green building and workforce housing initiatives and incentives; developers and utilities before the Public Service Commission; building contractors and other licensed professionals with licensure issues before the Department of Business and Professional Regulation and corresponding local government regulatory agencies, including representing clients before the various licensing boards in disciplinary proceedings; clients in competitive bid protests and other contract procurement matters; clients with comprehensive planning and permitting issues before the Department of Economic Opportunity, Department of Environmental Protection and corresponding local government agencies. His practice also includes construction litigation. He is AV rated by Martindale Hubbell.
Mr. Donaldson's practice also includes representing clients in general litigation matters in circuit court including construction litigation. From 1989 to 1994, Mr. Donaldson was an Assistant General Counsel for the Florida Department of Community Affairs, now known as the Department of Economic Opportunity, and the Florida Department of Environmental Protection.
- Creative Choice XXV, Ltd. v. Florida Housing Finance Corp., 2008 WL 2755165 (Fla. 1st DCA July 17, 2009), appeal from an administrative order denying funding for an affordable housing project.
- Marion County v. Kirk, 965 So. 2d 330 (Fla. 5th DCA 2007), challenge of an order concerning the adequacy of notice provided in a land use dispute.
- Villa Capri Associates, Ltd. v. Florida Housing Finance Corp., 23 So. 3d 795, 34 Fla. L. Weekly 02469, (Fla. 1st DCA November 30, 2009), challenge of state agencies failure to properly index final order.
- GTECH Corp. v. State Dept. of Lottery, 737 So. 2d 615, 24 Fla. L. Weekly D1740 (Fla. 1st DCA July 22, 1999), defense of a contract award for lottery services.
- Cordes v. State Dept. of Environmental Regulation, 582 So. 2d 652 (Fla. 1st DCA June 11, 1991), defense of permit denial for waste water treatment facility.
- Department of Community Affairs v. Holmes County, 668 So. 2d 1096, 21 Fla. L. Weekly D588 (Fla. 1st DCA March 5, 1996), challenge to the award of hurricane recovery funds pursuant to the Community Development Block Grant Program.
- "Crying Foul: Bid Protests Under the Florida APA" (May 8, 2011)
- "Ethics for Paralegals" (March 26, 2011)
- "Landlord-Tenant Mediation/Dispute Resolution Overview and Effective Use" (February 15, 2011)
- "Ethics Jeopardy," Providence, RI (October 2010)
- "Understanding the Rules: When to Use Uniform Rules and Rules of Civil Procedure" (April 2010)
- "Bid Protests Under the APA," (April 2010)
- "Pay to Play: When Do Public Officials Cross the Line and What is Being Done About It," Austin, TX (October 2009)
- "The Nuts and Bolts of Open Meetings Law,” FOIA and Ethics (December 11, 2008)
- "Affordable Housing: How to Maximize the Available Resources” (November 14, 2008)
- "Zoning and Land Use in Florida: Workforce Housing, Impact Fees and Prop Sharing,” Pensacola, FL (March 25, 2008)
- "Metadata and its Ethical Implications for the Government Lawyer,” American Bar Association Section of State and Local Government Law, Spring Meeting, San Juan, Puerto Rico (2007)
- "Land Use Ethics – Advocating for Your Client Without Getting Disbarred or Hauled Before the Ethics Commission" (2005)
- "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, Part II: Ethical Dilemmas in Government Representation,” American Bar Association Section of State and Local Government Law, Spring Meeting, Anchorage, Alaska (2005)
- "Quasi Judicial Hearings," 21st Annual Growth Management & Environmental Permitting Short Course (March 2 & 3, 2005)
- Recipient of the Virgil Hawkins Fellowship (University of Florida College of Law, 1985)
- University of Florida Minority Student Leadership Award Finalist (1985)
- America’s Best and Brightest Men 1996, Dollar & Sense Magazine
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- The Florida Bar
Past member of the Grievance Committee for the 2nd Judicial Circuit
- American Bar Association, State and Local Government Law Section
Current Chair, Ethics Committee
- National Bar Association
- University of Florida Black Alumni Association
- The Dick Howser Center for Childhood Development
Member, Board of Directors, Vice President (1996-present)
- Assistant General Counsel with the Department of Community Affairs, now known as the Department of Economic Opportunity (1991-1994)
While at the Department, Mr. Donaldson served as a litigation attorney representing the Department in Chapter 163, F.S., Comprehensive Planning cases and Chapter 380, F.S., Development of Regional Impact Cases. This representation included the review of proposed projects and local government comprehensive plans. Mr. Donaldson also represented the Department in circuit court proceedings concerning the enforcement of growth management laws and mandates.
- Assistant General Counsel for the Department of Environmental Protection (1989- 1991)
While at the Department, Mr. Donaldson served as a litigation attorney in the environmental permitting section. His duties included representing the Department in permitting various projects, including stormwater facilities, wastewater facilities, docks and marinas, and dredge and fill activities.